Recent Storm Cycle Delivers 186 cm (73 inches)of Snow in Past Seven Days, Pushing Total Snowfall This Season to 1,033 cm
WHISTLER, BC, February 17, 2011 – With 11 cm (4 inches) in the past 24 hours, Whistler Blackcomb has officially surpassed the average annual snowfall (1,025cm, 404 inches) with three months remaining in the ski/snowboard season. Since Saturday, February 12, the one year anniversary of the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, Whistler Blackcomb has received 184cm (72 inches) of snow.
|Photo by Logan Swayze/coastphoto.com|
“Each day over the past week I’ve been overhearing friends and guests’ claiming ‘this was the best day ever,’ as they describe their day at Whistler Blackcomb; claims that are immediately trumped the next day with the new ‘best day ever’ claim,” says Doug MacFarlane, Whistler Blackcomb Mountain Operations Manager. “And they’re right. Whistler Blackcomb has seen an incredible storm cycle resulting in 186 cm (73 inches) of snow this past week. Couple this with our operations crews efforts; grooming 1,000 fresh acres each night and patrol working hard to open alpine lifts as early as possible after each dump of snow, it’s an incredible time to ski and ride at Whistler Blackcomb.”
- High resolution images are available at whistlerblackcomb.com/photo taken on February 16 and 12
- HD b-roll is available at ftp://wbfotofile.com file name SnowshotsFeb12.zip
- Username: wbbroll
- Password: blackcomb
Whistler Blackcomb Snow Statistics
- February 2011 has seen 209cm (82 inches) of snow, surpassing the average snowfall for the month of February of 156cm (61 inches).
- Last season was the second snowiest season on record for Whistler Blackcomb with 1,494cm (588 inches).
- Whistler Blackcomb has one of the longest ski/snowboard seasons in North America, with operations on Blackcomb Mountain extending to May 23.
- The event line-up at Whistler Blackcomb continues all season long with the infamous World Ski and Snowboard Festival taking place April 15-24.
For guests looking to book a trip to Whistler Blackcomb this season, packages are available from $126 CAN per person, per night. Up-to-the-minute snow and weather conditions are available by checking out whistlerblackcomb.com/mobile on your mobile phone or whistlerblackcomb.com/snowreport.